The school holidays are fast approaching, and I know some of you have already started! We’re very excited about our camping trip, but we have a few weeks of being at home to get through first. That’s where this post comes in – I’m going to let you have a peek at some of the fun ideas I’ve jotted down for home activities!
When the kids are at home, I have a little system called “planning your pins”. It basically means I have a little activity to pin our day on each day. It could be a 5 minute craft or a full-blown day trip. But it means that we have something special to break up each day.
I find the easiest way to brainstorm our home activities is to come up with themes. I then allocate a theme per week. But you can dip in and out of our list however you please.
48 Home Activities by Theme
- Go strawberry picking
- Watch Mr Bloom
- Plant some seeds
- Make a fruit salad
- Cut fruit up and do some printing
- Make a fruit smoothie
- Play the fruit salad game
- Make fruit skewers
- Do a blind taste test of different fruits
- Make some fruit shapes out of playdough
- Treasure hunt – (make your own clues or hide chocolate coins)
- Go on boat ride
- Go to the seaside
- Watch Peter Pan
- Walk the plank (secure a plank of wood to walk along)
- Make a treasure chest
- Play in the sandpit
- Draw a treasure map – (use teabags to make it look authentic)
- Watch Muppet Treasure Island
- Make an eye patch
- Read The Gruffalo
- Make a Gruffalo crumble – (just a regular crumble really)
- Buy some different types of nuts to try
- Watch the film
- Go on a Gruffalo trail – (using the Gruffalo spotter app)
- Visit a local wildlife park
- Watch The Lion King
- Read some non-fiction books – fact finding
- Do a collage / painting of a lion
- List as many African animals as you can
- Watch Tinga Tinga
- List as many African countries as you can
- Read The Elephant’s Child (by Rudyard Kipling)
- Make some African animals out of playdough
- Lion face painting
- Build a palace out of blocks
- Dress up
- Host a Princess ball
- Print out some pictures to colour in
So these are a few of the things that we’re thinking about doing in the school holidays. There is also a second instalment of fun stay-at-home activities with even more fab ideas, so check it out!
Which of our home activities do you fancy having a go at? Can you think of any new themes that your little one might be interested in? What do you like to do with your kids in the summer holidays? Do you have any stand-out activities that you remember doing as a kid? I’d love to hear your thoughts so please leave me a comment below!
Got a little one who’ll be playing cars all summer? Our new t-shirt shop has just launched and this is one of our brand new designs! Plus, if you buy before the end of July, you can have 10% off using this discount code: starter4-10
Other colours and designs are available!