A birthday quiz is a great way to celebrate a birthday, whether it’s a 10th birthday or a 70th birthday! It makes the birthday boy or girl the absolute focus of the event and you might also find out some things about them that you never knew before!
Why do a birthday quiz?
My mum had a major birthday a few weeks ago (we won’t say which!) and we decided to throw her a party. She’s not really one for the limelight so I thought a birthday quiz would be a good way to celebrate her life in a fun way.
My mum is quite a private person so I worked hard to find questions that would be fun and light-hearted without humiliating her. We also had children there so all the questions are family-friendly.
The final consideration was that some of the guests had known mum all her life, and some had only known her a year. To make the playing field more even, I added in some questions which were multiple choice and some which could only be answered by guessing so everyone had a fair chance of getting them right.
The birthday girl also joined in the quiz and her answers were final.
This birthday quiz has six rounds and 70 questions in total.
The family-friendly birthday quiz
Round 1: Biography
The first round of the birthday quiz is biography. This round is all about the birthday girl’s history and heritage. It’s probably worth reassuring the guests that this is only the first round as I had a lot of people complain that they didn’t know any of these answers…! Haha.
- What year was she born?
- What’s her middle name?
- What are her mum and dad called?
- What was her mum’s maiden name?
- How many 1st cousins did she have?
- What was the family dog called?
- What size shoe is she?
- What was the first car she owned?
- How old was she when she got married?
- Hope old was she when she when her second child was born?
Round 2: Favourites
The next round is about knowing the tastes and preferences of the birthday boy. Feel free to adapt these questions if there’s a big part of their personality that needs addressing (e.g. favourite football team or favourite soft toy!)
- Favourite colour
- Favourite film
- Favourite song
- Favourite author
- Favourite ice-cream flavour
- Favourite TV channel
- Favourite subject at school
- Favourite computer font
- Favourite holiday destination
- Favourite pastime
Round 3: If…!
For all your guests who are beginning to wonder why they’ve even been invited to the party because they’ve not know any answers so far, this is the round for them! The basic idea is to imagine what the birthday girl or boy would choose to be… but, in all honesty, it could be any of them! Haha.
It works like this:
If Fiona could be a shape, would she be a square, a circle, a triangle, or a star? And why??
- Shape – square, circle, triangle, star
- Dog – Dalmatian, pug, whippet, great Dane
- Item of clothing – t-shirt, dressing gown, waistcoat, swimming trunks
- Piece of technology – mobile phone, projector, car, clock
- Food dish – pizza, sandwich, curry, pasta bake
Round 4: This or that?
This is quick-fire round of the birthday quiz. Simply read down the options and the party guests must choose which they think the birthday girl prefers.
- Android or Apple
- Shower or bath
- Internet explorer or Firefox
- Summer or winter
- Ketchup or mayonnaise
- Cat or dog
- Tea or coffee
- White or red (wine)
- Trainers or shoes
- Play sport or play music
- Apple or banana
- Home or abroad
- Early bird or night owl
- Book or TV
- Go out or stay in
- Comfy or stylish
- Comedy or action
- Good company or good food
- Dinner party or BBQ
- Stripes or spots
Round 5: Worsts
Similar to the favourites round, we now have to look at the things they don’t like.
- Worst household chore
- Worst colour
- Worst pizza topping
- Worst weather
- Worst self-care job (e.g. dressing, washing, shaving, teeth, toe nails)
- Worst game
- Worst school subject
- Worst animal
- Worst season
- Worst TV show
Round 6: Have you ever…?
The final set of questions in the birthday quiz is another quick-fire round. Guests simply have to write yes or no depending on whether they think the birthday boy has done this thing or not. This was also the round that caused the most surprises and discussions when we did it…!
Have you ever (y or no) …
- Broken a bone?
- Broken a window?
- Been on TV?
- Had a friend who shared the same birthday as you?
- Locked your keys in the car?
- Accidentally sent a text or email to the wrong person?
- Sat in the back of a police car?
- Fallen asleep at work?
- Made a snow angel?
- Eaten peanut butter straight from the jar?
- Forgotten your wedding anniversary?
- Forged someone’s signature?
- Ridden a horse?
- Flown in a helicopter?
- Googled yourself?
That’s the end of the birthday quiz. Tot up the scores and find out who truly knows the birthday girl or boy best…! And if you’re looking for some more fab birthday party ideas, check out my colossal list of party ideas by clicking the image below.
PIN it for later: